Seems I’ve been all about the terminal customisation recently…
grep a lot. Multiple times every day without fail. I used
ack for a while when I started at my current workplace as that seemed to be favoured by a lot of the existing devs there. However, I found that not having
ack on some servers meant I was making silly mistakes when using
grep elsewhere. Ever typed this:
grep -R 'variable'
and sat there waiting? Well I have. So I switched away from
ack and became a
grep advocate. This move from
ack might also help explain my
grep default flags, one of which (that I didn’t mention in that post..) is
-P to use
perlre in the search string.
Continue reading “
I’d wanted to extract the code I used in the those projects into a stand-alone project/component that could be added to an existing page where ANSI escape sequences need to be interpreted. I’ve toyed with the idea of making it a Web Component or something like that but haven’t just yet.
Continue reading “terminal-preview”
greping over a codebase, there can be so many different things to trip you up and flag false positives, or files that you definitely didn’t want to
Continue reading “
grep: defaults for web developers”
I’ve always noticed really elaborate examples of what can be achieved with a highly customised
PS1 variable for your bash prompt and recently have spent some time playing with my settings to make my terminal experience better with a few updates. I also felt that I would have benefitted in the past from being able to analyse what my prompt currently does, breaking it down into easier to digest blocks, so I can make more sense of what each part does.
As a result of that curiosity, I’ve created a small page that allows you to paste in an existing
PS1 from your terminal which will then be parsed and previewed with some basic dummy details (which can be changed by clicking on the identifier in the preview area).
I’d like to make it into something like EzPrompt with support for 256, or even true colour additions and collate some useful scripts for displaying additional information, but at the moment it’s useful for seeing what each block does at least.
It seems to cover most of the examples I’ve tested in various searches, but the more inline-code is included, the less it can display.
Check it out here and the source is available on github.